Registration is Now Open
The Southern Indiana Triathlon Team is pleased to announce that they will be staging a "FREE" 70.3 half-iron distance triathlon/duathlon/aquabike for it's members again in 2017. The event will take place at Blue Lake in Newburgh on Saturday, July 29th, 2017. Transition will open at 6:00 a.m. and the race will begin at 7:00 a.m. Consisting of a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, followed by a 13.1 mile run - everyone is invited to participate. For DUATHLON participants, the swim portion will be replaced with a 5k run.
This event is completely "FREE" and there are only 5 prerequisites to participate.
- #1 - You need to create your user account for this website. It only takes a couple minutes! After you submit your registration you will need to activate your account with the confirmation email.
- #2 - You must be a current Southern Indiana Triathlon Team Member. If you need to renew or join, you can do that here.... (note you will be redirected to the old team website)
- #3 You must have completed the triathlon teams open water certification process (No Exceptions) Open water certification sessions are now being acnnounced on our facebook page and newsletter.
- #4 - You will need to login to the Website and complete your Registration for the 6th Annual SITRI Team 70.3 Triathlon / Duathlon / Aquabike !!!! (REMEMBER - YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO REGISTER!)
- #5 - You need to train for this distance and the heat. A 70.3 long course is a demanding race so make sure you are adequately prepared. Note that much of this course is exposed. Chances are that it could be quite hot and humid. There is an 8 hour cut off time.
Still interested? OK, read on.
TIMING & RECOGNITION: Timing will be provided by the triathlon team and all finishers will receive some type of momento recognizing the achievement. There will be no awards for this event but overall results will be posted to the team website within 48 hours of the close of the event.
GU & Roctane Gels
GU & Roctane Gels
SWIM: The 1.2 swim course is a simple "out and back" in the fantastic waters of Blue Lake in Newburgh, IN. A lifeguard and kayaker(s) will be on site and transition will be located at the Blue Lake boat ramp. For a map you can click the link below.
BIKE: The bike course traverses lightly traveled county roads throughout Warrick and Spencer Counties. The 56 mile route is an "out and back" course with 3 aid stations, giving you the opportunity to rehydrate and refuel 6 times. You will encounter an aid station approximately every 10 miles. The bike course offers up a mix of terrain featuring sections of rolling hills, downright hilly sections, and plenty of "flat as a pancake" sections to recover. Just as importantly, the bike course is very exposed so be prepared for the heat. As a special note, both the bike and run courses are "open" courses so there will be traffic on these roads. Please use good judgement when navigating these routes. For a map you can click the link below.
RUN: The 13.1 mile run course is an "out and back" with aid stations placed every mile. There is some light rolling terrain and a slight long grade to climb out of transition yet the majority of the run course is flat. Like the bike course, the run route is fully exposed with little shade to be found. We'll have plenty of ice and cooling sponges on hand to help keep you cooled down. For a map you can click the link below.
DUATHLON 5K Leadoff: For those doing the duathlon, the 5K route will be announced at a later date.
SUMMARY: Typical triathlon / duathlon /aquabike rules will apply. We will cover the highlights at our pre-race meeting. The Southern Indiana Triathlon Team reserves the right to pull anybody from the race for safety and medical purposes if necessary. Safety and well being is priority one. As a reminder, there is an 8 hour cutoff time to complete the event. Event updates will be sent as they come available. You will also receive a pre-race email approximately 5 days before the event with any last minute information and race day instructions. Train well and we hope to see you there!